Iran threatens to block more trade routes as US launches fresh strikes
Iran has threatened to widen disruption to regional trade routes as the United States carried out a new wave of strikes on Iranian military targets, marking a further escalation in tensions between the two countries. The threat matters because the Strait of Hormuz and nearby export channels are vital for global oil and gas shipments, so any prolonged closure or wider conflict could affect energy markets and regional stability. US President Donald Trump also increased pressure by warning that American attacks could expand to Iranian infrastructure if Tehran does not return to negotiations.
Iran’s Revolutionary Guards said the Strait of Hormuz would stay closed until the US stops what they called acts of aggression, and warned that other export routes serving US and allied interests could also be targeted. US Central Command said it carried out drone, air and naval strikes on Wednesday morning as well as a seven-hour overnight operation, while a renewed US blockade on Iranian ports took effect on Tuesday evening. Trump said a previously threatened 20% toll in the strait would instead be replaced by large trade and investment deals with Gulf states, and Iranian state media reported separate attacks on US targets in Jordan, Kuwait and Bahrain, with US allies saying they intercepted Iranian drones and missiles.
- Iran threatens wider trade route closures
- US launches fresh strikes on Iran
- Escalation raises risks to regional energy flows