Trump-appointed judge permanently ends Proud Boys Jan. 6 case, says Constitution left him no choice
A federal judge appointed by President Trump has permanently dismissed the January 6 prosecution of four Proud Boys members, stating that the law gave him no authority to reject the Justice Department's request to drop the case. The dismissal was granted "with prejudice", meaning the charges cannot be refiled, and it brings a definitive end to one of the most prominent prosecutions arising from the 2021 Capitol riot. The judge emphasised that the Constitution left him no choice in the matter.
U.S. District Judge Timothy Kelly issued the ruling on Friday in a seven-page opinion, granting the Justice Department's motion to dismiss the case against Ethan Nordean, Joseph Biggs, Zachary Rehl and Dominic Pezzola. The dismissal followed an earlier decision by a federal appeals court that had already vacated the four men's convictions. Kelly indicated he acted reluctantly, granting the government's request despite the significance of the case.
- Trump-appointed judge permanently dismisses Jan. 6 Proud Boys prosecution.
- Four members' convictions had already been vacated on appeal.
- Judge says the law left him no authority to refuse.