Woke Seattle mayor faces brutal reality check as shootings rock city and top official says she has NO public safety plan
Seattle's public safety chair, Bob Kettle, has publicly pressed Mayor Katie Wilson to produce a comprehensive public safety plan after a mass shooting at the Bite of Seattle festival on 26 July left three people dead and at least four injured. The demand follows a further incident on Friday in the Alki neighbourhood, where more than 70 shots were fired in a shootout, with police noting nearby surveillance cameras were not working at the time. The pressure adds to mounting criticism of Wilson, a democratic socialist elected earlier this year, over her handling of public safety.
Kettle said no such plan currently exists on the "executive side," despite one having been ready on the "legislative side" for two and a half years. This comes amid polling showing Wilson with a 37 per cent favourability rating and a D+ grade on public safety, alongside separate criticism from Washington Governor Bob Ferguson over her conduct during a crisis call after the festival shooting, and a recall attempt launched by local residents accusing her of dereliction of duty. Seattle's Office of the Inspector General is now independently reviewing the administration's response, covering the mayor's office and other city agencies as well as the police department. Wilson responded that public safety remains "a very, very high priority" for her office and that she expects to be judged on results.
- Council safety chair says Mayor Wilson has no public safety plan
- Festival shooting killed three; separate shootout fired 70+ rounds
- Wilson also faces recall bid and inspector general review