Topic: Middle East

Middle East coverage follows the region’s conflicts, diplomacy, security and humanitarian pressures, from Israel and the Palestinian territories to Iran, the Gulf and neighbouring states. It also tracks the international powers, trade routes and political decisions that shape events across the area.

Developments in the Middle East can affect civilian lives, regional stability, energy supplies and global relations. This hub brings together reporting and analysis to help readers follow the immediate news and the wider context.

  • Trump’s peace plan for Gaza is REJECTED by Israel as Netanyahu refuses to withdraw until Hamas is disarmed

    Israel has rejected Donald Trump’s proposed peace plan for Gaza, with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu insisting Israeli forces will not withdraw from the territory until Hamas has been fully disarmed. The rebuff represents a setback for the US president’s efforts to broker an end to the conflict and underlines the continuing gulf between Washington’s diplomatic…

  • Former Defense Secretary says Iran ‘emboldened’ by conflict, ignoring Trump threats

    Former US Defence Secretary Mark Esper said Iran had been emboldened by the conflict and was disregarding threats made by former President Donald Trump. The remarks suggest concern that pressure and warnings alone may not be deterring Tehran’s actions. The article text was unavailable, so the specific conflict, remarks and supporting evidence could not be…

  • Hassett: Fuel prices ‘still higher than we would like’

    Kevin Hassett said fuel prices remain higher than the US administration would like, signalling continued concern about household energy costs amid the Iran war. The remarks matter because petrol prices can affect inflation, consumer confidence and political pressure on the government. The available article text contains no further reporting because access to the page was…

  • Protest at the Locarno Film Festival Remembers 60,000 Names of the Dead of Gaza 

    Around 100 demonstrators gathered at the Locarno Film Festival in Switzerland to unfurl a shroud bearing the names of 60,000 people killed in Gaza since the war began two and a half years ago, marking the latest instance of pro-Palestinian protest at a major film festival. Organiser Dr Michele Ghielmini of Swiss Healthcare Workers Against…

  • Israel rejects Board of Peace Gaza plan over disarmament terms

    Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has rejected a 15-point Gaza ceasefire proposal put forward by the Board of Peace, ending speculation over Israel’s response and confirming that no Israeli withdrawal from the enclave will occur until Hamas is verifiably disarmed. The decision, announced at Sunday’s Cabinet meeting, hardens Israel’s negotiating stance and leaves the broader…

  • Netanyahu Says Israel Won’t Pull Out Of Gaza Before Hamas Disarms

    Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has again rejected US President Donald Trump’s 15-point plan to end the Gaza war, telling his cabinet on Sunday that Israeli forces will not withdraw until Hamas is fully disarmed of “heavy weaponry, lighter weaponry, all weaponry”. The statement highlights a widening rift between the two allies, as Trump pushes…

  • Haunted by Hoover, Trump searches for an endgame in Iran

    President Trump is pursuing a settlement to bring an ongoing war with Iran to a close, driven partly by fears that a prolonged conflict could define his presidency in the same negative terms that Herbert Hoover’s handling of the Great Depression came to define his. Trump has reportedly studied past presidencies to understand what separates…

  • Israel refuses Trump’s Gaza disarmament plan, PM says

    Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has formally rejected US President Donald Trump’s 15-point plan for Gaza, insisting that Israeli forces will not withdraw until Hamas is “genuinely” disarmed. The rebuff, delivered at a cabinet meeting on Sunday, marks a setback for Trump’s wider Gaza peace initiative, which the president had hailed as “a monumental step…

  • Yemen’s Houthis claim attack on Aramco oil facility in Saudi Arabia, and other Middle East news

    Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi movement has claimed a drone attack on a Saudi Aramco oil refinery in Jazan, southern Saudi Arabia, saying it was retaliation for Saudi violations of Yemeni airspace. Saudi officials confirmed a fire broke out at the facility but reported no casualties and gave no cause, while the Houthis also said they targeted…

  • ‘Like being in prison’: the ship crews stuck in Gulf since February

    Up to 20,000 seafarers, mostly from India and the Philippines, remain trapped in the Gulf as the US-led war on Iran drags into its sixth month, with Iran effectively blockading the strait of Hormuz. The danger of their situation was underscored this week when the Minoan Pioneer, a Greek-owned bulk carrier, was hit by an…